Lately, I’ve been going back to some skincare basics. My oily, aging and acne prone skin likes it when I keep my skincare simple. So a simple, gentle yet thorough cleansing routine, followed by simple yet effective-ingredient based skincare products can help restore my skin from ravages that occur when I try various new skincare routines. Ah, the things we bloggers do so you don’t have to, dear reader.
I know my skin well enough to know that it needs exfoliation on a regular basis. That is when it is happiest, and it becomes very unhappy when I don’t. So I have some old favourites, and some new additions that are making it into the rotation.
I use tepid to warm water and gently wash my face. Right now I am using CeraVe Foaming Cleanser – a tiny bit in my hands mixed with water foams up just enough to freshen my skin. I gently pat my face dry using a clean washcloth (I buy them in bulk!) and then spritz rosewater into my hands. Then I press it into the skin on my face and neck, as I find it moistens my skin and leaves it feeling dewy. Then, I apply my moisturizing serum (more on that in a future post). I let my serum dry, then apply NeoStrata Glycolic Renewal™ Smoothing Lotion 10%. This one is an oldie but a goodie – repackaged from when it was Neostrata Level 3 – the glycolic acid in this lotion is perfect for my skin. It exfoliates my thick skin, keeping my pores in order and reducing the look of fine lines. Getting rid of dead papery skin is the best way to improve the appearance of ageing skin. Glycolic acid use helps reduce the build up of dead skin cells in our pores as well, so skin looks smoother and glowier. However, the 10% is relatively strong, so if you have sensitive skin, you might want to try the 5% Lotion. The Neostrata Glycolic Acid Lotion formulations are best for combination to oily skin, but fear not, they have 5% and 10% Glycolic Acid in Cream formulations for normal to dry skin.
I then apply my eye serum (stay tuned!) followed by my new favourite eye cream, Odacité Ultra Effective Eye cream, which I gush about here. Then I apply my body lotion, and by the time I’m done that, my face is ready for the day. Be it just a little sunscreen, or some powder and blush.
Time for bed/pjs/sweats means it’s time to wash mah face. Seriously, I really enjoy this ritual. Must be the beauty junkie in me. Lately, I adore my Charlotte Tilbury Multi-Miracle Glow Balm ($70) for washing the day off. This stuff is like the champagne of cold creams, and it’s balm-oil texture melts away the most stubborn of sunscreens or long wearing makeup. I like to finish that off with a hot wet wash cloth. Then, my latest obsesh, Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Pads ($16). Seriously – love. I’ve used a few glycolic toners I enjoy, but the ease of use with pre moistened pads is a terrific feature. They have a gentle amount of glycolic acid at 2.8%, but I find they make a difference in how my skin looks and feels. I give my face, neck and chest a good swipe with the pads, then gently apply my rosewater, patting it into the skin. I apply my moisturizing serum, and, when that dries, I use my Jouviance Restructiv Collagen Boost ($55). This is one of the only retinol products I have been able to use without irritation! Seriously, miraculous.
From the Jouviance site:
Formulated with Pro-Collagen Activator (PCA), an exclusive Jouviance amino acid copper complex that boosts cell (fibroblast) energy.
Uses patented RovisomeTM encapsulation technology to deliver retinol into your skin’s lower layers. This smart bypass allows retinol’s active ingredients to be released deeper down without irritation. No more redness. No more flaking. The result? Fewer wrinkles and dark spots, and a smoother, even complexion.
Reactivates production of collagen 3 (youth collagen). Rebalances the collagen 1/collagen 3 ratio.
Promotes growth of new collagen and elastin, and prevents against future breakdown.
Developed for sensitive skin
Does not contain any parabens, sulfates, colourants, phthalates, dyes, DMAE, TEA, artificial fragrances, or occlusive agents such as silicones, paraffin, lanolin, petrolatum or mineral oil.
Developed by a dermatologist and tested under clinical control
Not tested on animals
A light texture which penetrates the skin rapidly and leaves it soft, supple, and moisturized.
After around five weeks of use, I noticed my skin was clearer, and glowing, and had a lovely texture. I feel like this is due to the combination of the daytime glycolic use and the retinol at night. So far, this routine is working for me and my skin is happy about it.
All of these products, except for Charlotte Tilbury, are sold at drugstores in Canada. Check the websites store locators for retailers outside of Canada. Charlotte Tilbury will be available at select Holt Renfrew stores in Canada July 2015.